A few observations:
(1) This was the last time I let my hair go wild and free, Jew-fro style, until I kicked my blow-drying addiction last summer.
(2) Those Levis look as though they might fall right off of me.
(3) The yearbook photog caught me in an unfortunate sneer, but I was smiling on the inside. Seriously.
(4) I was giving a speech about Jesus and the Passover. I didn’t know a whole lot about either one, but I was pretty darn excited as a Jewish person to tell my classmates what I was learning about Jesus even though I hated public speaking back then.
(5) I am still the same person, motivated by the same passions. I’m still Michelle trying to tell others about Jesus.
(6) I am not the same person. It would be pretty terrible to be the same at 52 that I was at 16. At least some of life’s lessons and God’s pruning have had their effect in my life.
(7) Today: I like public speaking. I have discovered that the right hair product and a dose of confidence can change a ‘fro into a mass of curlz. And the information I heard back then that God is faithful has become internalized in me. Those words are no longer information on a page or a radio sermon, but have become my living experience.
Pretty groovy, huh?