I sent the following newsletter to those on my mailing list a couple of weeks ago:
Thanks for taking a few moments of your valuable time to catch up with me.
Time is the only non-renewable resource in our lives. Yet our over-busy schedules and always-on connection to technology whisper an untrue tale about time to us. They tempt us to believe there will be space always in our lives for the things that matter most: relationship with God and one another. But our moments and days rush away from us, don’t they?
Followers of Jesus often speak of the importance of everyday discipleship. But what if our discipleship was formed with intention by days and seasons that punctuate the rhythms of our daily lives with times of purposeful rest, spiritual recalibration, and shared celebration?
I began asking these questions in earnest several years ago. Those questions led me on a journey through time as I dug into the richness of the calendar God gave to the Jewish people in the Old Testament and observed in its fullness by Jesus. At the same time, I pondered the profound story the liturgical Christian calendar told me about the life and mission of my Savior.
Moments & Days: How Our Holy Celebrations Shape Our Faith is the result of those questions. You’ll discover an engaging historical, devotional look at each key holiday/holy season in each calendar, as well as an invitation to a more intentional way of living.
Advance readers said some pretty nice things about the book:
I’m so excited about Moments and Days! As a Jewish believer in Christ, Michelle Van Loon brings a truly unique perspective. First, she shares her rediscovery of the deep, rich biblical feast days of Judaism as she grows in Christian faith. Then, she brings a fresh appreciation of Christian holy days that seem stale and boring to church goers. I love her superb historical scholarship that is knitted together with warm personal insights. Her practical insights for celebrating holy days will transform believers today.
Where has this book been? Now that we have it, what did the church ever do without it and can I ever not have it nearby? I am savoring this book like a black iron skillet that gets better with age, and will use it to cook up some theological dishes I never thought possible.
Moments & Days releases September 1, but you can pre-order your copy now from NavPress (the publisher) or through one of these fine booksellers:
Can We Talk?
It would be my honor to come speak to your church, Bible study, book club, or small group about Moments & Days – or work with you to craft a message or retreat that will minister to the unique needs of your group. I’m booking summer and fall dates now.
Book-related speaking topics include:
- Marking Time With God: A grace-filled look at how time forms our lives.
- At The Intersection Of Time and Eternity: The Jewish calendar and the Christian calendar each tell unique yet interrelated stories. Why do these stories matter to us here and now?
- Rest, Recalibrate, Celebrate: A lively, practical overview of one or both calendars.
Other speaking topics include:
- In-depth look at the history and practice of a specific holiday on either calendar.
- How did a nice Jewish girl like you end up writing about Christian liturgy?
- Reclaiming The Locust-Eaten Years: Why regret keeps us trapped in the past and how God can redeem it. My book on the topic, If Only: Letting Go Of Regret, won an Award of Merit in the 2015 Christian Life category fromChristianity Today magazine. You can sample the first chapter of the book here.
I’m booking summer and fall dates now. Click here to contact me for more information or to schedule a date.